Thursday 12 February 2009

Simple Truth's

During a particularly difficult phase in my life , I came across the benefits of meditation. I was introduced to it by an aunt and ever since I have never looked back. I have read voraciously and finally found what it takes to have peace of mind. Now I am addicted to it. It has in every sense helped to make my life simple and easy. I have more patience today . I have learnt to trust life and basically I am a better person today than I was some years back.

I always believed (wrongly) that for meditation I would need to have a blank mind. That in itself seemed a daunting task. I now know other wise. You see, your mind is not meant to be empty. It cannot be a vacuum, that's against the law of the Universe. Your mind is like the wind or the water, constantly flowing and gathering. Meditation is focusing.Focusing on a particular thought or mantra or even an object like an idol.

There are mental barriers you have to be overcome to follow this through. It should be a part of your daily routine like brushing your teeth in the morning. It's not necessary to do your meditation in the morning before the sun is up. You can do it any time of day or night. But it is good to establish a routine. Meditation and Creative Visualization have a lot in common. Both focus on the well being of the individual.

Life has three basic levels--Being,Doing and Having. They are never in conflict with each other. They exist together. Being happy is the final motive of any human,but we often struggle with it. The reason is--we do it backwards.We try to 'Have' more so that we 'Do' more so that we can 'Be' more happy. The way it actually works is ....you must first 'Be' happy with what you are,with what you have. This helps you to 'Do' more or gain more and this in turn will make you 'Have' more or help you get what you want.

These are simple truths that have helped me over the years.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I too use to meditate and felt that it is , if not very tough but a bit complex work to do , as I too felt that the mind has to be empty .But u said well its like water , contantly flowing and gathering so its hard to resist and it is against the law of universe to make mind empty of thoughts.I too wish I start once more(very quickly)with meditation...thank you for making me feel so.

    ReplyDelete