Friday 16 January 2009

.A Tough Job

I have now been married for a good 10 years. In these 10 years , my education of life and it's demands have been astoundingly immense. I have a great marriage but i have to constantly work at it being even better. All the rosy pictures of a newly married couple (walking of into the sunset) have been slowly replaced by practicality. That I think is an important lesson learned. Next, be willing to give and Very patient to receive. It takes a lot to have a really Happy Marriage. As the years roll by and the first flush of 'being married' dies away, reality hits you.
My thoughts after our first really BIG fight were "This is not the person i married".(I am sure my husband felt the same).In no time we had resolved our differences but made a rule that we would never end the day on a sour note. How naive! It's almost funny now.We have realised that we are two different individuals and each is allowed to have their own opinions.So what do u do? The answer is in striking a balance.And that scary word'compromise'.
It's not that bad, really. My life with my partner is just great. A few downs , but plenty of ups. I have enjoyed the ride.It's been slippery in places but we have always been next to each other,neither ahead nor behind.That's the secret!
The addition of our daughter to our family,has definately helped.We now see the world through her beautiful,innocent eyes. She has been a gift in my life. I must have done something pretty good in my last life to deserve her in this one.She's amazing and has changed our life completely. And my husband agrees with me completely on this one.
Marriage has changed me as it has him. We have learnt to live with our differences and often have benefited from it. I love my life and would not exchange it for any other.I still have that one dream though, of walking of togeather into the sunset.Maybe it will come true. We are working at it all the time .

1 comment:

  1. Good to know that all (or most) successful marriages follow the same pattern. When my 'K' won the top-most award from SAP, my in-laws called me up first and congratulated and thanked me for being a very supportive partner to their son. That was an extremely sweet gesture I thought. Today K, A and me went to see our new house (its 95% complete now) and felt great. Said a quiet 'thank you' to each other. Once a friend of mine asked me what I liked best in my married life and I replied 'freedom to do and think what i want'. I think people like you and I need to thank the one above for giving us this privilege. Right?

    Tutu

    ReplyDelete