Saturday 10 January 2009

Golden Times

My niece has been asking me to send her a letter, by snail mail. She says she wants to receive a letter by post. I was a tad surprised. I remember waiting for the postman during my school days. After my sister was married , my mother waited up every afternoon until she was sure the postman had gone back and there was no letter for her. And if there was a letter , that was the first thing i heard when I was back from school. That was a different life altogether. Today it is the era of instant gratification.It's not that I am complaining, I am a part of it too. The joy of receiving a letter by post or rather the anticipation of the letter is something I cannot easily forget.
My niece is now an adult and away at University studying French. This request of a letter by snail mail made me think of the days when that was the only option one had. And here I am at a time when ,M, is specially requesting one! Obviously I wrote her a nice long , juicy letter and BOY! was she happy. I am glad she has experienced a bit of "olden times" as she calls it. And I hope that when she finds that "someone special " she can have a few "letters" that will not disappear at the press of a button.

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL..
    u made me remember those days when u and me too use to remember each one of us through letters.

    ReplyDelete